Secondary Carding is a difficult process that many Clubs/Teams have problems executing with the League. The process and procedures must be followed literally to ensure that this is done properly. CU has no say over the forms or how they are to be completed – they simply must be completed as instructed.
Roster Sizes (New Jersey Youth Soccer)
U9 to U10 - 7v7, 14 player roster, 20 roster spots in a seasonal year, 14 player gameday roster
U11 & U12 - 9v9, 18 player roster, 24 roster spots in a seasonal year, 16 player gameday roster
U13 to U19 - 11v11, 22 player roster, 28 roster spots in a seasonal year, 18 player gameday roster
“Roster spots” means the maximum number of players on the roster during the seasonal year (Sep 1 - Aug 31). For example U9 to U10 can have 14 players on the roster at any given time and can make 6 changes (up to 20 roster spots) during the seasonal year.
Applicable Rules for Secondary Carding
Chatham United Club Policy
Secondary carding from outside the Club to a Chatham United team is generally not permitted except in certain exceptional circumstances and must have prior written approval by the Board.
MCYSA League Handbook
Rule 1.14.7 Secondary Player Passes
A. The MCYSA has adopted a policy of multiple rostering through the use of Secondary Player passes. In the case of scheduling/game/practice conflicts, the player is obligated to play and practice with their primary team unless the primary team permits otherwise.
B. Secondary passes are filled out on GotSoccer similarly to the Primary Passes. Once the paperwork has been downloaded and completed, it is dropped off to the League Registrar (LR) who will sign the front of the pass and the form. Only the LR can sign the front of the pass and the form. The form and the pass then goes to the club’s District Commissioner (DC) who will stamp the back of the pass and finalize the paperwork. You will need to present a copy of the primary pass to the LR so he can process the paperwork. You will need to present a copy of the primary pass, a new medical release and a SAGE form (unless the primary team is also an MCYSA team) to the DC so he/she can process the paperwork. Secondary pass paperwork is treated like all other paperwork – it must be reviewed by the Primary Carding Contact [CU Registrars] before being dropped off. All too often coaches have given parents the responsibility to handle secondary paperwork and it has wound up not being correct. This can no longer be the case.
C. Secondary passes are not permitted for U8, U9 and U10 players
New Jersey Youth Soccer Rules for Secondary Carding
Instructions for Parent Managers to Add Secondary Carded Players
- Secondary passes will be printed on regular/blank player passes. Print the player pass using the single pass option in gotsoccer.
Instructions for adding a Secondary Carded Player in Gotsoccer:
- Print a new roster
- Obtain a 1x1 GLOSSY PHOTO on PHOTO PAPER from the child’s parent
- Attach the player’s photo to the back of the pass (The player does not have to sign the card/pass).
- Have the Parent complete the Secondary Player Status Form (see parent instructions below) and obtain all the required signatures except the Secondary League Official and your club’s District Commissioner. Ignore the $10 fee mentioned on the form. There is no longer any fee.
- Obtain the player’s Medical Release Form from your team package (given back to you after the initial rostering was performed in late summer)
- Deliver the new roster, the old roster, the secondary pass, the completed Secondary Player Status Form and a copy of the player’s primary pass, front and back, to the CU Registrar for approval (For Spring 2016 Anne Molinaro and Heather Robb will be assisting with Secondary Carding. Please email them at
for information on drop off) The CU Registrar will add their contact details to the Secondary Player Package.
- Once the CU Registrar has approved the Secondary Player Package they will let you know and provide you with the address of the Secondary League Registrar. You will then drop off the package at the Secondary League Registrar’s house [DO NOT RING THE DOORBELL OR HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH THE SECONDARY LEAGUE REGISTRAR]. The Secondary League Registrar is the ONLY person that can sign the Secondary Player Status Form.
- The CU Registrar will let you know once the Secondary Player Status Form has been signed (or if any corrections are needed). You will then pick up the Secondary Player Package from the Secondary League Registrar.
- Make two additional copies of the signed Secondary Player Status Form.
- Deliver the original and two copies of the form, the new roster, the old roster (which the DC will keep), the player pass, the player’s Medical Release Form, and a copy of the player’s primary pass, front and back, to the District Commissioner who processed your team roster. The CU Registrar will provide you with the DC’s address for you to drop off the package [DO NOT RING THE DOORBELL OR HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH THE DISTRICT COMMISSIONER]. Please ensure you have the CU Registrar’s contact info on the package that goes to the DC. The District Commissioner will then stamp, date and sign the back of the pass, the form and validate the new roster.
- The CU Registrar will let you know once the Secondary Player Status Form has been signed (or if any corrections are needed). You will then pick up the Secondary Player Package from the DC (including the completed pass, a copy of the Secondary Player Status form and the new validated roster).
Instructions for Parents of Secondary Carding Players to Fill Out Secondary Player Status Form
Click here for Secondary Player Status Form
- This form must be completed in BLACK INK only
- If you make an error you must print another form and begin again - NO WHITEOUT/NO CROSSOUTS
- Use the child's FULL LEGAL NAME MATCHING THEIR BIRTH CERTIFICATE (no nicknames – if birth certificate is “Benjamin” do not use “Ben”) - the District Commissioner matches this information across forms and will reject any that do not conform to the full legal name on their birth certificate
- Even the child’s signature must be their FULL LEGAL NAME MATCHING THEIR BIRTH CERTIFICATE (no nicknames – if birth certificate is “Benjamin” do not use “Ben”)
- Follow instructions as per form except ignore the $10 fee. There is no longer any fee
- You must provide the completed Secondary Player Status Form to your primary team Parent Manager
- You must also provide your primary team Parent Manager with a 1x1 photo of your child on GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER
The Parents of the player should ensure the top of the Secondary Player Status Form is completed (everything above “Signature - Secondary League Registrar”). If your primary card is Chatham United (e.g., U12 Colts) and you are secondary carding on to another Chatham United team (e.g., U12 Mustangs) you should complete/obtain everything above “Signature - Secondary League Registrar.” Below we have provided guidance in completing the form using the following scenario: Player is Chatham United player with their primary card on the U12 Colts who is secondary carding on the Chatham United U12 Mustangs.
Secondary Player Status Form Example
The below is an example. You must complete the actual form (Secondary Player Status Form)
Name __[Player Name – matching Birth Certificate]___ Primary Pass# _[# on card held by your CU PM (Colts)]__
Date of Birth ___________________ Phone __________________ Gender (M/F) ________
Address (Street, Town, State, Zip) _________________________________________________________
Signature - Player__[Player signature – must match Birth certificate]____________ Date _______________
Signature - Parent ________________________________________________ Date _______________
Primary Team _[e.g., Colts]__ # _[Colts team number]_ Age _[e.g., U12]_ League _["MCYSA"]_
Signature – Primary Team Coach ___[Colts PM signature]___________________ Date _______________
Secondary Team _[e.g., Mustangs]_ # _[Mustangs team Number]_ Age _[e.g., U12]_ League _["MCYSA"]_
Signature – Secondary Team Coach ___[Mustangs PM signature]______________ Date _______________
Signature - Secondary League Registrar __[LEAVE BANK]_______________ Date _[LEAVE BANK]__________
District Commissioner ______[LEAVE BANK]_________________________________ Date __[LEAVE BLANK]____