Registration for the 2016-2017 Travel program consists of online registration AND completion of physical forms. Online registration ran from February 27 to April 8, 2016. Physical forms MUST be turned in at one of two registration events in April.
Tryouts will take place between April 20 - May 6, 2016. The detailed schedule is posted here.
Questions may be directed to
. We expect that this year there will be many questions related to the change to birth year registration and so we have added a number of additional items to our FAQ page. In order to keep our email load manageable we ask that you do not contact us until you have read the FAQ in full.
Age groups for 2016/2017:
If the player was born
Age Group Eligibility
January 1, 2008 - December 31, 2008
January 1, 2007 - December 31, 2007
January 1, 2006 - December 31, 2006
January 1, 2005 - December 31, 2005
January 1, 2004 - December 31, 2004
January 1, 2003 - December 31, 2003
January 1, 2002 - December 31, 2002
The rules for playing up to a higher age group are different this year. Please see the FAQ page for details. In particular, players who wish to play up should register for the higher age group. For most players the club recommends against playing up.
The U9 age group is run slightly differently from the others since it is the first year of Travel soccer. Please see the U9 page for more information.
Registration is a three-step process:
- Read the FAQ page of our website
- Register online
- Complete the physical registration forms and hand them in at one of the two registration events in April.
- On the Home Page click on the "Register Online" or "Register Now" buttons.
- Click on the "Begin Registration" button under the appropriate program (e.g. "2016/2017 U11 Girls Travel").
- If you are new to Chatham United and do not already have an account on the website, you will be asked to create an account and enter parent information. If you already have an account you will be asked to log in.
- Fill in the details for the participating player. In particular, please check that the player record contains an email address. Although the system links parent records with player records, it is helpful for the club if every player record has a contact email address.
- Answer the registration questions and acknowledge the waivers.
- Pay the registration fee of $310. This is the same as last year and includes the $280 season Club Fee and the $30 nonrefundable Tryout Fee. As noted on the FAQ page, additional Team Fees to be paid later in the season also apply.
We are using paypal to collect the registration fees. Please note that if paypal recognizes your email or credit card number as being linked to a paypal account then (depending on your paypal account security settings) you might be asked to login to paypal to complete the payment.
One of the registration questions asks if you would be willing to donate $15 towards the cost of new goals. Please see the FAQ page for more information on why we are making this request.
This year the deadline for requesting refunds is May 6, 2016 which is significantly earlier than in previous years. Please see the FAQ page for our full refund policy.
Physical Forms Required for Travel Players (U9 to U15):
Registration is not considered complete until the following forms are turned in at one of the two registration events in April. These are required by the New Jersey Youth Soccer Association (NJYS). Every club that wishes to play in Morris County Youth Soccer or Mid New Jersey Youth Soccer Leagues are required to provide these forms. Chatham United does not decide which forms are necessary.
These forms must be completed properly according to the strict instructions below. These forms are reviewed by a District Commissioner that reports to New Jersey Youth Soccer. If the forms do not meet the stringent requirements of NJYS they will be rejected by the District Commissioner. This causes delays in team formation and wastes considerable time for our Club and Team Volunteers.
Important Instructions for Completing Forms:
- All forms must be completed in BLACK INK (written or typed)
- If you make an error you must print another form and begin again - NO WHITEOUT/NO CROSSOUTS
- Your child's FULL LEGAL NAME MATCHING THEIR BIRTH CERTIFICATE must be used on EVERY FORM - the DC matches this information across forms and will reject any that do not conform to the full legal name on their birth certificate
1) NJYS Membership Form
2) Medical Release Form
3) SAGE (Sportsmanship Pledge)
4) Copy of Birth Certificate
5) 1" x 1" GLOSSY COLOR photo of player (MUST BE ON PHOTO PAPER). Please be sure to write your child's name and age group (e.g. U10) on the back of the photo.
A complete package containing the first 3 forms and instructions for all 5 items can be found here.
Please submit the forms at one of two registration events in April where volunteers can check that the forms conform to NJYS regulations. (In earlier years when we collected the forms at the homes of the registrars, a large fraction were later rejected by NJYS.)
- 1st Registration Event. Tuesday April 5. 6:30-8:30pm. Chatham Middle School cafeteria.
- 2nd Registration Event. Saturday April 23. 8:30-10:30am. Chatham Middle School cafeteria.
- The 1st event is prior to the end of the online registration period. Please make sure that your online registration is complete if you would like to attend this event.
- If your tryouts are before the 2nd registration event then you can still hand in your forms at the 2nd event. However, if we do not receive your physical forms your child will not be eligible to be placed on a team.
- If your tryouts are after the 2nd registration event then you will not be able to tryout if we have not received your physical forms.
We thank you for your cooperation as we try to streamline the process of collecting forms that are acceptable to NJYS.
Tryouts for the Fall 2017/Spring 18 Travel season are scheduled to run April 19 - May 4. Please note that we may have to make changes to the schedule if the grass fields have not dried out by April 19.
Questions may be directed to
For current Chatham United Travel players entering 10U-15U, a formula based on Current Trainer Evaluation (50%), Tryout Score (40%) and Current PM Feedback (10%) will be used to rank players and develop the teams. (The Tryout Score is also used to calibrate across different trainers and PMs.) For current 8U TDP players entering 9U or 10U, a formula based on Current Trainer Evaluation (60%) and Tryout Score (40%) will be used. For new players the Tryout Score will count for 100%.
Tryout Dates and Location:
Players should attend both tryout sessions. The age group below is the group you qualify for in the 2017/2018 season. You should attend the tryouts for the age group for which you registered. Players that wish to “play up” should register and attend tryouts for the higher age group.
More information about 2017/2018 age groups and the rules for playing up may be found at our FAQ page. Full registration instructions may be found at our Registration page.
The address for Passaic River Park is approximately 30 Roosevelt Road, Chatham Township NJ. Directions to all Chatham fields may be found here. Roosevelt Road is off River Road, not far from Esternay Field.
Passaic River Park has a separate park entrance. Do not turn onto Roosevelt Road as this is a dead end street which is narrow and extremely difficult to turn around in. When driving from the center of Chatham on River Road go past Roosevelt Road and make a left into the Park - you will see a wooden sign for Passaic River Park. (In order to avoid GPS issues, please note that in addition to Roosevelt Road in Chatham Township there is a Roosevelt Avenue in Chatham Borough. Please do not go to Roosevelt Avenue. There is also another Passaic River Park in Berkeley Heights. Please do not go to Berkeley Heights.)
We are aware that the week of April 17 is Spring Break at St. Patrick's school. Players at St. Pat's who wish to try out for 9U-11U but are planning to be away that week should contact us at
2017/18 9U Girls
Wednesday April 19. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
Tuesday April 25. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
2017/18 9U Boys
Wednesday April 19. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
Tuesday April 25. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
2017/18 10U Girls
Thursday April 20. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
Monday April 24. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
2017/18 10U Boys
Thursday April 20. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
Monday April 24. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
2017/18 11U Girls
Friday April 21. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
Wednesday May 3. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
2017/18 11U Boys
Friday April 21. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
Wednesday May 3. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
2017/18 12U Girls
Wednesday April 26. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
Monday May 1. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
2017/18 12U Boys
Wednesday April 26. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
Monday May 1. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
2017/18 13U Girls
Thursday April 27. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
Tuesday May 2. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
2017/18 13U Boys
Thursday April 27. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
Tuesday May 2. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
2017/18 14U/15U Girls
Friday April 28. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
Thursday May 4. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
2017/18 14U/15U Boys
Friday April 28. 3:45 – 5:15. Passaic River Park
Thursday May 4. 5:15 – 6:45. Passaic River Park
Please note that the tryouts are administered by a third party using professional trainers.
We ask current Chatham United players to NOT wear any Chatham United clothing during the tryout.
All players should wear cleats and shin guards and bring a water bottle. Players should not wear any jewelry or hard hair accessories. Please do not bring a soccer ball. They will be provided.
Parents: Please drop your child off for the tryouts and return to pick them up at the conclusion of their session. To be fair to all players and their evaluation, we are using a blind tryout format. Any parents that attempt to stay to watch the tryouts will be asked to leave.